From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:03:48
1 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011, 08:04:43 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >
4 >> On 06/24/2011 01:16 AM, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> If it works with fortran turned on, I'd leave it alone. With hindsight,
7 >>> I should have left well enough alone anyway. It wasn't hurting a thing.
8 >>> Watch the elog messages. It will tell you at some point to either enable
9 >>> fortran or emerge some other package that I forget the name of. That one
10 >>> package pulled several dependencies on my rig. YMMV.
11 >>>
12 >> Well, as I said in another post, I do have -fortan in my make.conf and
13 >> there are no problems. I do not have programs installed that need a
14 >> fortran compiler. And I do not have kde-meta installed; that's a waste
15 >> of resources. I only install what I actually need.
16 >>
17 > You have no programs, that *need* fortran, but it could well be, that you have
18 > programs installed, that perform better when compiled with a fortran compiler.
19 > I think of sci-libs/fftw here as an example. It's used by programs like
20 > blender, imagemagick and maybe some others. The developers of said library use
21 > fortran, because they benchmarked it. If you disable fortran, you use the
22 > slower C fallback solution. If you disable fftw in those packages, you get a
23 > slower implementation too afaik.
24 > After all, gentoo is a source based distribution. We all already have a couple
25 > of languages installed. There's a C compiler a standard user will never use.
26 > There's a C++ compiler only used by programmers. We all have them, only to
27 > compile programs, that need them.
28 > Why not enable fortran, even if it's only optional, to get the best of the
29 > available implementations? In the end it's only one programming language more
30 > installed on your system.
31 >
32 > Regards,
33 > Michael
37 I just wonder if that is why Cantor was set up to use fortran by
38 default. Not because it is smaller, requires a few less package but
39 that it is what it is designed to run off of. It may well work with
40 something else but not as fast, not as good or something else we don't
41 know about.
42
43 Just makes me think again on this one.
44
45 Dale
46