From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pocket sneaks back
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 00:07:50
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Monday, 16 March 2020 21:08:10 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 >>> After the latest stable firefox upgrade to version 68.6 I again started
5 >>> seeing DNS queries for Pocket related domains. I found this in
6 >>> prefs.js:
7 >>>
8 >>> user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.includePo
9 >>> cket", true);
10 >>>
11 >>> I am not sure if this setting was new with this version or if firefox
12 >>> just started acting on it now, but in any case I am adding it to my
13 >>> user.js with a value of false, right now.
14 >> I admit I don't know what these are for but I went to look at mine. I
15 >> also found this which is a little different than the one you posted but
16 >> still pocket related.
17 >>
18 >> services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highligh
19 >> ts.includePocket
20 >>
21 >> I run unstable here but mine is set to true for that one as well.
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 >> :-) :-)
26 > I didn't even know what pocket is, let alone that it is enabled as a default.
27 >
28 > I'm on FF 68.6.0esr, but I do not have a pocket button showing in the address
29 > bar. I may have disable it sometime in the past, thinking that got rid of it
30 > - little I knew.
31 >
32 > Going to about:config and searching for pocket reveals a number of related
33 > settings, with 'extensions.pocket.enabled' being one you should pay attention
34 > to.
35 >
36 > https://help.getpocket.com/article/1025-disabling-save-to-pocket-features-in-firefox
37 >
38 > It is worth mentioning, Palemoon does not have pocket in it. ;-)
41 I don't want to set them to false because I still don't know what they
42 do, google didn't help any either.  I don't want to break websites or
43 something and then be trying to figure out why a site works for everyone
44 but me, and maybe you if you happen to visit the same site.  ;-)
45
46 Can someone share a link that tells what a pocket is exactly?  If I
47 don't need it, I'd like to disable it.  It may help with the extension
48 thingy that takes up tons of memory and sends one core of my CPU to
49 100%.  So far, restarting Firefox is the only solution.  It sometimes
50 hit several GBs in no time flat.  It runs fine for days and then BAM.
51 Overload.  :/
52
53 Thanks.
54