From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux Installers for Blizzard Products
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:48:44
1 Am Donnerstag, den 14.06.2007, 16:16 +0300 schrieb Daniel Iliev:
2 > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:25:29 +1200
3 > "Kent Fredric" <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 6/14/07, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > Hi, guys
7 > > >
8 > > > I hope some of you won't find this message too much spam-alike.
9 > > > Today I accidentally found there is a petition on-line [1]. It
10 > > > represents a request to Blizzard to include Linux installers in
11 > > > their products. I thought the gamers from the list might be
12 > > > interested in signing that petition. Even I'm not a gamer (anymore)
13 > > > I signed it, because I hate it when big companies ignore the Linux
14 > > > community.
15 > > >
16 > > >
17 > > > [1] http://www.petitiononline.com/ibpfl/
18 > > >
21 Even though I only play shooters now (UT series and Doom 3 [1]) - and
22 with increasingly larger time frames between each session - I am glad
23 there is pressure for Linux support. It will very surely trigger
24 Linux/BSD/etc. popularity, so I voted for the petition :). I hope these
25 kind of petitions help stop the chicken/egg problem (no support --> no
26 interest --> no support --> ...)
29 > > I argued I don't game any more _because_ of the lack of linux games
30 > > that were not already bored with. HIstorically, game dev's argument
31 > > has been along the lines of 'if they want to game, they'll just use
32 > > windows, or get a console'.
33 > >
34 > > What they don't realize, is its possible many of us have simply lost
35 > > interest in the gaming community simply because 'just use windows'
36 > > isn't really viable for most of us :P
37
38 That's one of the reasons I quit gaming. The last game I bought was
39 Gothic 3 (because I loved the first 2), which I never did finish. Note
40 that I'm a mere 20, so you'd think I'd still be into gaming ;).
43 [...]
44 >
45 > I lost my interest in games mostly because I have changed. There was a
46 > time I wouldn't miss a new game for any reason. Now I haven't seen yet
47 > even how does WOW look like. As I said it has nothing to do with Linux,
48 > Licenses, policy etc. I just lost the thrill as the years passed by.
51 This would be the other main reason I stopped gaming. Over time I just
52 lost interest in it. Plus, the gaming world kind of scares me... think
53 http://www.somethingawful.com/d/art-of-warcraft/index.php [2].
54
55 I would also like to point out that some gaming magazines are actually
56 pushing for native Linux support in games. I'm specifically thinking of
57 the German GameStar, which had 2 special issues dedicated to Linux to
58 date. It was the first issue with SuSE 9.1 on DVD which first got me to
59 try out Linux [3]. They also prefer native Linux support over Emulation,
60 and even said so in an editorial explicitly criticizing that some
61 companies are actively working toward "integration" with Cedega instead
62 of developing a native Linux version. Sadly, following my disinterest in
63 gaming, I canceled my subscription.
64
65 > --
66 > Best regards,
67 > Daniel
70 Marc Joliet
71
72 [1] Hooray for the Gentoo Games Project!!!
73 [2] Should I warn about possibly not work safe content here? I don't
74 read that column often, but am quite sure it illustrates my point.
75 [3] Not just me. GameStar even has a relatively active Linux Forum:
76 http://www.gamestar.de/community/gspinboard/forumdisplay.php?s=943350a52e1eb42ab89fa9f19e20ce57&f=45