From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage GUI interfaces...
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:03:14
1 On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:52:15 +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2
3 > This is one place where those quake-like terminals comes in handy. I
4 > use tilda, for KDE there's yakuake. Basically they allow you to press
5 > a single key and a terminal pops down from the top of the screen.
6
7 Yakuake is absolutely superb, it's the only terminal I use on this
8 netbook as it takes up no screen space.
9
10 > You'll probably want to run the compile in one screen session, then
11 > tail -f the emerge log in one of the tabs.
12
13 With the latest portage and --jobs set to >1, you don't even need that as
14 the output from emerge excludes all the compiler output so you can see
15 exactly what's going on at any time.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I will remember. Involve me, and
22 I will learn.