From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage GUI interfaces...
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 03:52:31
1 On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
3 > Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.
4
5 This is one place where those quake-like terminals comes in handy. I
6 use tilda, for KDE there's yakuake. Basically they allow you to press
7 a single key and a terminal pops down from the top of the screen. I
8 usually have one of those running all the time: I have a tab or two
9 devote to emerges, another tab handling an SSH -X session to some
10 other computer, and maybe a tab or two devoted to some command line
11 tasks. Press a single key and it all goes out of sight.
12
13 You'll probably want to run the compile in one screen session, then
14 tail -f the emerge log in one of the tabs.
15 --
16 This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [x] social
17 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
18 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none