From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:17:57
1 Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > As a user - not specifically a Gentoo user - I only need to know 3 commands:
5
6 > When I experimented with managing my config files with git I did a lot
7 > of reading (I was new to VCS in general), and in the end I realized
8 > that, although git is really powerful and complex, for my needs I
9 > actually really needed to know just a handful of basic commands, and I
10 > could use tig and/or gitk for almost anything.
11
12 (3) things really? You can see into the future now? I'm going to
13 be as polite as I can and say that is 'head in the sand' naive.
14
15 Read up on gitignore [1] and how the devs plan on using it. It was quite
16 a discussion on gentoo-dev. Surely more is occurring 'back_channel' as it
17 should to formulate a comprehensive scheme for just one aspect of git.
18 All I suggested was basically the devs put a bit of extra thought into how
19 gitignore would be used by users and overlays to be compatible with codes
20 migrating from one's system to an overlay and maybe eventually the portage
21 tree. Entertaining as the dev sarcasms were, it's was/is a valid concern
22 because gitignore is used to prune/remove files in source trees. All users
23 maintain (at least temporally a source tree. And in case you have not read
24 up on it, we have something called 'epatch-user' where ordinary users can
25 inject code to test and permanently modify packages.
28 Sorry, but your position is 'clueless' even though well intentioned.
29 We are all going to be learning quite a bit of 'git' like it or not.
30 Git deployment is no excuse for crippling something as fundamental to
31 gentoo as the changelogs. There are a myriad of valid reason that those
32 changelogs are so pronounced and easy to find and explore.
35 I'm an ordinary gentoo user (a gentoo_commoner), just so you know.
38 wwr,
39 James
40
41 [1] http://git-scm.com/docs/gitignore