From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What to set in kernel for hi-res console terminal
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 23:00:02
1 On Monday 17 Jul 2017 18:27:04 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> I'm starting a new vbox install of gentoo using the minimal ISO from
5 > >> 07/13
6 > >>
7 > >> When it gets to the kernel setup... I cannot figure out what to set
8 > >> to make my console terminal high resolution. Something along the line
9 > >> of 1600x1200.
10 > >>
11 > >> I understand this can all be done in the kernel now. But cannot
12 > >> really get a good fix googling on what is needed there.
13 > >
14 > > I was unable to figure this out either - can you comment on whether or
15 > > not Mick's suggestions work for you? The documentation I followed
16 > > about a year ago didn't seem to work.
17 >
18 > I used to use old grub, of course, and used this on the kernel line:
19 >
20 > (from 2010)
21 >
22 > title 2.6.32-r1
23 > root (hd0,0)
24 > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x31b video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap
25 >
26 > > I assume your goal is to have VTs that look like they do on Ubuntu, etc?
27 >
28 > Don't know dupe about Ubuntu...
29 >
30 > My goal is a nice big fat high resolution console mode.
31 > Something on the order of 1600x1200
32 >
33 > Didn't dig into kernel docs just now... but long long ago using old
34 > grub I dug up the chart Mick mentions .. It might have changed by now
35 > but probably not.
36 >
37 > I kept it in comments on /boot/grub.conf down thru many installs
38 > and several different OS's. Here is one from 2010 gentoo (On the same
39 > grub.conf as the title, root and kernel line above)
40 >
41 > ## 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
42 > ## 256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
43 > ## 32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
44 > ## 64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
45 > ## 16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B
46 >
47 > So, I can probably figure out where to put stuff like that using Grub2
48 > but what I wanted to know about is using the Kernel modes KVM alone.
49 >
50 > Hence the subject line about what to set `in kernel'.
51
52 Try adding this at the end of your kernel line options in GRUB:
53
54 video=1600x1200
55
56 If you are lucky your video card driver will cooperate.[1] If not you may
57 need to either add the refresh frequency, e.g. video=1600x1200@60Hz, or if
58 your video drivers won't cooperate you'll have to add 'nomodeset' to disable
59 KMS and specify your vga resolution of choice.
60
61 I tried this on with radeon card and it works.
62 --
63 Regards,
64 Mick