From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What to set in kernel for hi-res console terminal
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 22:27:22
1 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I'm starting a new vbox install of gentoo using the minimal ISO from
5 >> 07/13
6 >>
7 >> When it gets to the kernel setup... I cannot figure out what to set
8 >> to make my console terminal high resolution. Something along the line
9 >> of 1600x1200.
10 >>
11 >> I understand this can all be done in the kernel now. But cannot
12 >> really get a good fix googling on what is needed there.
15 > I was unable to figure this out either - can you comment on whether or
16 > not Mick's suggestions work for you? The documentation I followed
17 > about a year ago didn't seem to work.
18
19 I used to use old grub, of course, and used this on the kernel line:
20
21 (from 2010)
22
23 title 2.6.32-r1
24 root (hd0,0)
25 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x31b video=vesfb:mtrr:3,ywrap
28 > I assume your goal is to have VTs that look like they do on Ubuntu, etc?
29
30 Don't know dupe about Ubuntu...
31
32 My goal is a nice big fat high resolution console mode.
33 Something on the order of 1600x1200
34
35 Didn't dig into kernel docs just now... but long long ago using old
36 grub I dug up the chart Mick mentions .. It might have changed by now
37 but probably not.
38
39 I kept it in comments on /boot/grub.conf down thru many installs
40 and several different OS's. Here is one from 2010 gentoo (On the same
41 grub.conf as the title, root and kernel line above)
42
43 ## 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
44 ## 256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
45 ## 32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
46 ## 64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
47 ## 16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B
48
49 So, I can probably figure out where to put stuff like that using Grub2
50 but what I wanted to know about is using the Kernel modes KVM alone.
51
52 Hence the subject line about what to set `in kernel'.
53
54 Guess I should have specified using KVM and made it a bit clearer.
55 Since there are kernel settings related to using the stuff above too.
56
57 I may need to post again with a better subject line.