From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Photo management programs
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:42:47
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > So I take a lot of pictures. A *lot* of pictures. Sometimes around
3 > 500/month, sometimes twice that if I manage to get out more. I've got
4 > a large number of 'DCIM' directories from different cameras, different
5 > camera models, etc, going back ten years. Sometimes in JPG, sometimes
6 > RAW, sometimes both.
7 >
8 > And I've never really managed them well.
9 >
10 > Does anyone have any photo management tool they like? I've got bits of
11 > Qt and Gtk installed already, and while I'd prefer to avoid pulling in
12 > a full desktop environment, I might--if the tool is good enough. It
13 > would have to:
14 >
15 > * Handle RAW (via libraw or dcraw is fine), JPEG, PNG[1] and TIFF[1]
16 > content and metadata
17 > * Index by metadata, including things like the recording camera's
18 > serial number[2]
19 > * Not be destructive, or ambiguous about being destructive, on image
20 > import. I tried using Amarok to organize my music, which is in similar
21 > disarray, and I was never sure if it was being destructive about the
22 > source files/folders. So I made copies. Which ultimately added to the
23 > disarray.
26 > [1] My postprocessing occasionally winds up in lossless formats like these.
27 > [2] My fiancee and I have the same model camera, and occasionally need
28 > to share memory cards, so I'd like to be able to use serial number to
29 > distinguish whose is whose.
33 As someone who also takes a LOT of pictures at times, I don't use
34 software, I just use directories. Mine starts out like this: Camera
35 directory > Year > subject matter > image That works for me. I used to
36 not have the year but that ends up with a LOT of pictures in a
37 directory. Example of mine as it goes to a actual image:
38
39 Camera-pics/2012/New Years/2012-01-05-8.JPG
40
41 I have been using gtkam to download my pics for years. Thing is, it has
42 a bug up its butt and wants to crash at random times, usually when
43 changing the directories. Anyway, it always crashes before I am done
44 and lets just say it gets on my freaking nerves. So, I tried digikam.
45 Well, my camera has multiple directories and for some reason it doesn't
46 show them all and then duplicates other images to boot. I may have 2 or
47 3 copies of the same picture. I have yet to figure out why that is and
48 google, now startpage, has not helped me either. Maybe I am searching
49 for the wrong thing?
50
51 If you want software to help manage your images, I'd try digikam. If it
52 works for you and your camera, it should do fine. If you want to go my
53 route, try gtkam and hope like heck it doesn't crash for you too. Right
54 now, both of those get on my nerves for different reasons.
55
56 Hope that helps and is clearer than mud. Maybe someone will come along
57 with a better plan for us both too. lol
58
59 Dale
60
64 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
65 how you interpreted my words!
66
67 Miss the compile output? Hint:
68 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"