From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Photo management programs
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:11:17
1 On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> So I take a lot of pictures. A *lot* of pictures. Sometimes around
4 >> 500/month, sometimes twice that if I manage to get out more. I've got
5 >> a large number of 'DCIM' directories from different cameras, different
6 >> camera models, etc, going back ten years. Sometimes in JPG, sometimes
7 >> RAW, sometimes both.
8 >>
9 >> And I've never really managed them well.
10 >>
11 >> Does anyone have any photo management tool they like? I've got bits of
12 >> Qt and Gtk installed already, and while I'd prefer to avoid pulling in
13 >> a full desktop environment, I might--if the tool is good enough. It
14 >> would have to:
15 >>
16 >> * Handle RAW (via libraw or dcraw is fine), JPEG, PNG[1] and TIFF[1]
17 >> content and metadata
18 >> * Index by metadata, including things like the recording camera's
19 >> serial number[2]
20 >> * Not be destructive, or ambiguous about being destructive, on image
21 >> import. I tried using Amarok to organize my music, which is in similar
22 >> disarray, and I was never sure if it was being destructive about the
23 >> source files/folders. So I made copies. Which ultimately added to the
24 >> disarray.
27 >> [1] My postprocessing occasionally winds up in lossless formats like these.
28 >> [2] My fiancee and I have the same model camera, and occasionally need
29 >> to share memory cards, so I'd like to be able to use serial number to
30 >> distinguish whose is whose.
34 > As someone who also takes a LOT of pictures at times, I don't use
35 > software, I just use directories.  Mine starts out like this:  Camera
36 > directory > Year > subject matter > image  That works for me.  I used to
37 > not have the year but that ends up with a LOT of pictures in a
38 > directory.  Example of mine as it goes to a actual image:
39 >
40 > Camera-pics/2012/New Years/2012-01-05-8.JPG
41 >
42 > I have been using gtkam to download my pics for years.  Thing is, it has
43 > a bug up its butt and wants to crash at random times, usually when
44 > changing the directories.  Anyway, it always crashes before I am done
45 > and lets just say it gets on my freaking nerves.  So, I tried digikam.
46 > Well, my camera has multiple directories and for some reason it doesn't
47 > show them all and then duplicates other images to boot.  I may have 2 or
48 > 3 copies of the same picture.  I have yet to figure out why that is and
49 > google, now startpage, has not helped me either.  Maybe I am searching
50 > for the wrong thing?
51 >
52 > If you want software to help manage your images, I'd try digikam.  If it
53 > works for you and your camera, it should do fine.  If you want to go my
54 > route, try gtkam and hope like heck it doesn't crash for you too.  Right
55 > now, both of those get on my nerves for different reasons.
56 >
57 > Hope that helps and is clearer than mud.  Maybe someone will come along
58 > with a better plan for us both too.  lol
59
60 Based on this and other posts in the thread, I'll probably give
61 digikam a try. I did want to clarify one point, though: I don't
62 connect the camera to the computer; I put the SD card into a card
63 reader, and copy from there.
66 :wq