From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub broke out of the blue
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:18:35
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > I've no idea how it broke, but after an emerge --sync, a kernel
3 > (gentoo-sources) update was there. After I compiled the kernel, I did
4 > the usual "make modules_install && make install". I edited grub.conf
5 > only to the point of changing the booted kernel to the new one (just a
6 > matter of changing -r1 to -r2 at the end of the kernel filename). I
7 > reboot, Grub stops working. It just displays "GRUB" and hangs there.
8
9 I normally don't edit my grub.conf, instead I have entries for
10 vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old (make install updates these).
11
12 When I do edit grub.conf, I always run grub-install afterwards.
13 I don't know if this is necessary, but it's my habit...
14
15 HTH,
16 Roy