From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] removing kde4(sets)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:22:34
1 On Thursday 29 October 2009 21:17:23 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:45:54 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > >> >> Are there any tricks to remove all of kde4, or do
5 > >> >> I have to do it manually?
6 > >> >
7 > >> > The set and the meta-package pull in basically the same packages.
8 > >> > Unmerge the set, emerge kde-meta then do a depclean to catch any
9 > >> > stragglers.
10 > >>
11 > >> I would just delete the set from the world_sets file, then emerge
12 > >> kde-meta, then depclean... much easier than unmerging everything and
13 > >> recompiling it.
14 > >
15 > > Sorry, that's what I meant. I was thinking that unmerging a set was like
16 > > unmerging a meta-package, that only the set itself would go.
17 >
18 > Ah, okay, we meant the same thing then. :) AFAK emerge -C @set will
19 > remove everything in @set but there's no portage command to remove the
20 > set definition without unmerging what's in it. I could be wrong on
21 > that, though.
22
23 You could be wrong, but you are not :-)
24
25 Your understanding of emerge -C @<set> is correct.
26
27 Portage treats the contents of a set as strictly depending on the set itself.
28 So there is no way to remove a set definition and leave it's child packages
29 intact - they would then be orphans.
30
31 Unless of course the child packages are themselves in world or depend on
32 something in world. But that's a side-effect of something else altogether and
33 not relevant to set behaviour.
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com