From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Need advice from people who use non-ascii all day long
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 02:46:15
1 > Our handling is simple -- we don't yet. I don't know how to handle
2 > things like that, or the previous example of Copenhagen in different
3 > languages. Look at Naples -- that's not what Italins call it. Venice
4 > is really bad -- no idea how English got it so mangled. Speaking of
5 > Japanese, their word for Mexico (last time I checked) was taken from
6 > the English MEKS-ih-ko and comes out as may-kee-shoo-ko rather than
7 > the more more natural may-hee-ko if they had taken it straight from
8 > Spanish.
9
10 Yeah, you get all kinds of crazy. For a long time I couldn't
11 understand why 'computer' is in katakana (ie: taken from English) and
12 'calculus' isn't. As it turns out, the Japanese invented calculus
13 independent of Newton and Leibniz.
14
15 > As for ToKyo being two syllables ... I think it depends on how one
16 > defines syllables. Ak a Japanese to pronounce three (san) slowly, and
17 > it wil be two syllables, sa-n, "saw uhn". Ask for three hundred which
18 > comes out as "sambyaku" because the "n" syllable changes sound when it
19 > sounds better, and they will make quite a few syllables out of it,
20 > such as (I am guessing now) saw-umm-bee-yaw-koo. To write Tokyo in
21 > the proper furigana is probably something like toh-o-kee-yoh-o.
22
23 Well, I don't think "n" is really a syllable. It's a sound, and it's
24 the only part of the syllabary in Japanese that doesn't have a vowel.
25 I'm not really convinced this is a syllable in reality.
26
27 The proper way to write Tokyo for syllabary would be to-u-kyo-u I
28 think, but I'm not certain. But really that's misleading because
29 you're *not* supposed to pronounce the sounds twice, you just extend
30 them, so they aren't really syllables either, they are just modifiers.
33 >> Kyoto is the same case as Tokyo (incidentally, the Chinese
34 >> characters for those two cities are the same and just reversed in
35 >> order!).
36 >
37 > Nope -- Tokyo is 東京, east capital. Kyoto is 京都, capital city. Kyo
38 > is the same, to is different.
39
40 Huh. I wonder how the hell I came up with that? I'm convinced I did
41 not decide that on my own but that someone told me. And they told me
42 I'm sure because I remember the story that went with it. Very
43 strange. But you're absolutely right.
44
45 Regards,
46 daid