From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Need advice from people who use non-ascii all day long
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 02:36:47
1 On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 10:58:59AM +0900, daid kahl wrote:
2
3 > I'm curious about your handling of Japanese, just because I'm living
4 > outside Tokyo these days. My grasp on Japanese is basically rubbish,
5 > but I can at least claim to know a thing or two.
6
7 Our handling is simple -- we don't yet. I don't know how to handle
8 things like that, or the previous example of Copenhagen in different
9 languages. Look at Naples -- that's not what Italins call it. Venice
10 is really bad -- no idea how English got it so mangled. Speaking of
11 Japanese, their word for Mexico (last time I checked) was taken from
12 the English MEKS-ih-ko and comes out as may-kee-shoo-ko rather than
13 the more more natural may-hee-ko if they had taken it straight from
14 Spanish.
15
16 As long a things stay in Unicode in the native language, we will do
17 alright. It's covering accepted mistakes (I can't think of a better
18 term) that is the problem -- thus my worries I'd have to include all
19 the accented and unaccented versions.
20
21 I learned enough Japanese to travel and hold bare bones questions.
22
23 As for romanization of Japanese, how do you even know which system to
24 use? Just as Peking is now Beijing, I have seen Tokyo with bars over
25 the Os and of course without. That is the same problem as Rome and
26 Roma.
27
28 As for ToKyo being two syllables ... I think it depends on how one
29 defines syllables. Ak a Japanese to pronounce three (san) slowly, and
30 it wil be two syllables, sa-n, "saw uhn". Ask for three hundred which
31 comes out as "sambyaku" because the "n" syllable changes sound when it
32 sounds better, and they will make quite a few syllables out of it,
33 such as (I am guessing now) saw-umm-bee-yaw-koo. To write Tokyo in
34 the proper furigana is probably something like toh-o-kee-yoh-o.
35
36 > Kyoto is the same case as Tokyo (incidentally, the Chinese
37 > characters for those two cities are the same and just reversed in
38 > order!).
39
40 Nope -- Tokyo is 東京, east capital. Kyoto is 京都, capital city. Kyo
41 is the same, to is different.
45 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
46 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
47 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o