From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Optimal formatting a SDcard (64GB) with partions of diffent sizes and filesystems?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 20:58:30
1 On Thursday 06 Aug 2015 21:17:29 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 06/08/2015 18:18, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > for my tablet PC I used a used 32GB FAT32 formatted SDcard. The
6 > > formatting was already done by the manufacturer.
7 > > Then I screwed it up and had to do the partioning and formatting
8 > > myself again. "No big deal", I thought -- and was wrong.
9 > > Yes, the "thing" I got could be read and written. But it was
10 > > DAMN slow in comparison to the original formatting.
11 > >
12 > > I googled and found a description, which described exactly,
13 > > what I wanted: An optimal formatting for one big FAT32 partion.
14 > > I did it again ;) and: TADA! The speed was back.
15 > > LINK:http://zero1-st.blogspot.de/2012/05/formatting-fat32-volumes-larger-> > than.html
16 > >
17 > > Now I need the something identical but explained in a way
18 > > that it can be successfully applied to any partion layout
19 > > and any SDcard size.
20 > > Currently the new SDcard has 64GB (yes, the tablet eats that size
21 > > well :) and needs at least two partions: One FAT32 and one ext4.
22 > > May be that I need a different layout later.
23 > >
24 > > To what aspect and "logic" do I have to keep my eyes on, when
25 > > it comes partioning/formatting any SDcard size with any partion
26 > > layout and any filesystem?
27 >
28 > As I understand it, the most critical thing is to keep the FS block size
29 > aligned with the native block alignment of the device.
30 >
31 > Example: Using 4k blocks that start at 1k is obviously going to be a
32 > problem - writing one block of data to the FS will always involve
33 > writing two blocks to the physical device
34
35 I was wondering similar questions regarding a 32G flash card I have. Using
36 fdisk to partition it the starting sector was automatically aligned with 2048
37 as it fdisk has been improved to deal with 4KB sector drives.
38
39 However, formatting it with mkfs.vfat I was none the wise if I should use the
40 '-s sectors-per-cluster' option or what to set it at.
41
42 Furthermore, how can I read the current cluster size off the flash card? Is
43 this appropriate?
44
45 blockdev --getbsz /dev/sdb
46 4096