From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Optimal formatting a SDcard (64GB) with partions of diffent sizes and filesystems?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 20:17:46
1 On 06/08/2015 18:18, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > for my tablet PC I used a used 32GB FAT32 formatted SDcard. The
5 > formatting was already done by the manufacturer.
6 > Then I screwed it up and had to do the partioning and formatting
7 > myself again. "No big deal", I thought -- and was wrong.
8 > Yes, the "thing" I got could be read and written. But it was
9 > DAMN slow in comparison to the original formatting.
10 >
11 > I googled and found a description, which described exactly,
12 > what I wanted: An optimal formatting for one big FAT32 partion.
13 > I did it again ;) and: TADA! The speed was back.
14 > LINK:http://zero1-st.blogspot.de/2012/05/formatting-fat32-volumes-larger-than.html
15 >
16 > Now I need the something identical but explained in a way
17 > that it can be successfully applied to any partion layout
18 > and any SDcard size.
19 > Currently the new SDcard has 64GB (yes, the tablet eats that size
20 > well :) and needs at least two partions: One FAT32 and one ext4.
21 > May be that I need a different layout later.
22 >
23 > To what aspect and "logic" do I have to keep my eyes on, when
24 > it comes partioning/formatting any SDcard size with any partion
25 > layout and any filesystem?
26
27 As I understand it, the most critical thing is to keep the FS block size
28 aligned with the native block alignment of the device.
29
30 Example: Using 4k blocks that start at 1k is obviously going to be a
31 problem - writing one block of data to the FS will always involve
32 writing two blocks to the physical device
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com