From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sweet Sweet Portage
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 19:20:20
1 On 08/16/2016 02:49 PM, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On 08/15/2016 06:02 PM, james wrote:
3 >> Well,
4 >>
5 >> I brought this up before. No need for argument, just test it out
6 >> for yourself.
7 >>
8 >> Multiple times (over the last few weeks) I have run 'emerge -uDNvp @world' and there are issues to deal with manually.
9 >>
10 >> For example 'One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict', type of fudd and other types of fudd is the result, not all the time, but maybe 50% of the time.
13 >> Now, routinely, all I do is immediately issue this command
14 >> 'emerge -uDt @world' and go have a coffee. An AMD 8 core, 32G workstation does it's thang, leaving me a with just a smile after the work is complete. No other actions, nadda, ziltch. Immediately, I then run 'emerge -uDNvp world' (again, and routinely I get::
15 >>
16 >> "These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
17 >>
18 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
19 >>
20 >> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB"
23 >> Just try it for yourself. It's like clockwork now. Smooth. I have over 1500 packages installed on a mostly stable but hacked out /usr/local/portage/ and maybe 10% of the packages, that are much newer, but portage is sweet, sweet, sweet now. There is inherent magic now, but,
24 >> I do not have time to ferret it out. Sure I can dive in, manually,
25 >> and I have done this to fix things, but, 'emerge -uDt @world' fixes things, automagically; dozens of times as I update 3 or 4 times a week.
29 > I don't know exactly what's going on but I think something is wrong so it's not
30 > so sweet. I think you got a conflict that's not being resolved and not being pulled
31 > by the second command. What happends if you add --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=30? Also
32 > try without the -p (I think it runs more code like autounmask etc so it may cause
33 > the extra output).
34 >
35 > Is clang/llvm stuff still popping up on the list of skipped packages? I remember a
36 > similar conflict around the time of your first post and it turned out that the latest
37 > stable clang blocks the latest stable libclc. So the tree is (still) broken. For most
38 > users it's not a problem because portage pulls the right version of clang but if you
39 > have clang on your world file it updates it to the latest and you get those conflicts.
40 > I fixed it by masking all versions of clang >3.6
45 Nope, but on gentoo-dev there is a big announce about LLVM(clang).
46
47 No issues with the system, I run the latest portage and when issues
48 popup, granted that are easy to fix, manually 'emerge -uDt world'
49 precludes the need to fix them. Afterwards, running 'emerge -uDNvp
50 world' just comes back completely clean. NO idea what's going on,
51 but *I* have verified this now dozens and of times over the recent weeks.
52
53 Instead of running 'emerge -uDNv world' I simple run 'emerge -uDt world'
54 and the manual (trivial) items just dissappear, it runs to completion
55 and all is just spanky fine. I do not have the will, nore inclination to
56 dig deeply, but the benefit is most wonderful. ymmv.
59 But follow the evidence
60
61 emerge -uDNvp world
62 <comes back dirty, blockers and other minor issues>
63 emerge -Dut world
64 <things run; finishes up and no blockers or other issues>
65
66 emerge -uDNvp world
67 <comes back clean *after using -uDt>
68
69 It's just that simple:: 3 commands, no others. fabulous!
70
71 <end of thread for me>
72 You don't believe me, then just ignore the thread. ymmv.
75 --nobody cares, as I'm done with this thread.
76 James