From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't install a new system
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 12:28:01
1 Hello list,
2
3 I'm trying to reinstall this system, but being blocked. I'm following the
4 handbook installation instructions.
5
6 Untarring the latest stage-3 onto /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/var and /mnt/
7 gentoo/usr/local gets me started. Then I chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash, and
8 that works too. Then I leave the profile at the default vanilla amd64 and
9 emerge-webrsync. So far so good. Then when I try emerge -uaDvN @world I get
10 a circular dependency involving elt-patches and xz-utils. No amount of
11 unsetting of USE flags makes any difference. Nor does --excluding one of them,
12 because portage just refuses to do that.
13
14 The same happens with ~amd64 in make.conf, and with plasma profile. No
15 systemd here.
16
17 Is there really a problem with the stage-3?
18
19 More worrying is that my backup USB drive has just failed an fsck. Even more
20 worrying still is the same happening to my backup backup! What are the
21 chances? Murphy surely does rule...
24 Regards,
25 Peter.