From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 22:23:23
1 On 05/03/2017 23:33, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > After upgrading my machine. I rebooted, everything went as planned.
3 > So I decided to upgrade to a newer kernel. I was using:
4 > linux-3.10.7-gentoo-r1
5 >
6 > and decided to switch to:
7 > linux-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
8 >
9 > I've done kernel upgrade many, many times so it was a routine procedure. When I re-booted the last thing on the screen were letter:
10 >
11 > "GRUB" and blank screen, not even a kernel selection.
12 > I scramble, boot strap the system and copied two file in /boot/
13 > kernel-old --> kernel-current
14 > System.map-old --> System.map-current
15
16 You could do this:
17
18 Boot into the old kernel
19 Delete the new kernel from /boot
20 Fix space issues with /boot
21 Re-install new kernel. This goes quick, it's already built in /usr/src
24 > I was under impression that something is wrong with the current (newest kernel). But it seems to me I run out of room on the /boot partition.
25 >
26 > ll -h /boot/
27 > total 17M
28 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Dec 17 2011 boot -> .
29 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 109K Mar 5 10:20 config-current
30 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K Mar 5 10:13 config-old
31 > drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 1.0K Mar 5 11:48 grub
32 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.5M Mar 5 11:03 kernel-current
33 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.5M Mar 5 10:12 kernel-old
34 > drwx------ 2 root root 12K Dec 17 2011 lost+found
35 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Mar 5 11:03 System.map-current
36 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Mar 5 10:12 System.map-old
37 >
38 > df -h
39 > /dev/sda1 30M 29M 0 100% /boot
40 >
41 > When I installed the system I followed standard, installation instructions, and allocated disk space accordingly in Gentoo installation instruction manual. I think it wasn't enough.
42
43 30M is not enough unless you are building for an embedded device with
44 flash memory for disk.
45 I'd consider 128M the absolute MINIMUM for a modern machine, and that's
46 still only 0.02% of the smallest spinning rust disk you can buy nowadays...
49 > What I my options to reduce kernel size or increase /boot partition?
50
51 increase /boot can be done, but it's hard work and you are mostly
52 screwed. You have to move the next partition in order (sda2) further up
53 the disk leaving room for /boot to be reasonable (see end)
56 > Since I'm using VirtualBox the only module I'm rebuilding against kernel are:
57 > modules="vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp vboxpci"
58 > + some Nvidia driver modules.
59
60 Not really relevant. You have 2 out-of-tree modules and possibly a very
61 large number of in-tree modules and none of them are in /boot
64 > But I've notice when new kernel was building where were a lot of other modules: "M" which I don't use I think. How to find them and disable them?
65 > Maybe it will reduce the kernel size.
66
67 Modules do not go in /boot so completely irrelevant
68 Modules go in /lib/modules/
71 > The current (linux-4.9.6-gentoo-r1) kernel size :
72 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.6M Mar 5 10:11 arch/x86/boot/bzImage
73 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.6M Mar 5 10:11 System.map
74 >
75 > I think when I copied the new kerenl size to /boot it didn't copied correctly as /boot run out of room.
76 > What are my other options?
77
78 temporary solution:
79
80 Go into your kernel config in /usr/src and for each kernel:
81 - Configure as a module everything that can be a module
82 - save, recompile, reinstall kernel
83
84 That will reduce your kernel space consumption by about 20%
87 > I'm using grub-0.97-r16
90 So, it is possible to grow /boot. I have done it many times. It is
91 tedious, boring and usually takes about 3 days longer than I have time
92 to spare and involves me using all spare samba shares and portable
93 drives I have
94
95 Considering your general state of knowledge and the sort of mistakes you
96 are making, I would advise you to backup your world file and
97 /etc/portage. Then trash that VM and start over, this time making
98 sensible choices about things like space for /boot
102 Alan McKinnon
103 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com