From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 23:34:37
1 On 03/05/2017 03:19 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 05/03/2017 23:33, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> After upgrading my machine. I rebooted, everything went as planned.
4 >> So I decided to upgrade to a newer kernel. I was using:
5 >> linux-3.10.7-gentoo-r1
6 >>
7 >> and decided to switch to:
8 >> linux-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
9 >>
10 >> I've done kernel upgrade many, many times so it was a routine procedure. When I re-booted the last thing on the screen were letter:
11 >>
12 >> "GRUB" and blank screen, not even a kernel selection.
13 >> I scramble, boot strap the system and copied two file in /boot/
14 >> kernel-old --> kernel-current
15 >> System.map-old --> System.map-current
16 >
17 > You could do this:
18 >
19 > Boot into the old kernel
20 > Delete the new kernel from /boot
21 > Fix space issues with /boot
22 > Re-install new kernel. This goes quick, it's already built in /usr/src
23 >
24 [snip]
27 > So, it is possible to grow /boot. I have done it many times. It is
28 > tedious, boring and usually takes about 3 days longer than I have time
29 > to spare and involves me using all spare samba shares and portable
30 > drives I have
31 >
32 > Considering your general state of knowledge and the sort of mistakes you
33 > are making, I would advise you to backup your world file and
34 > /etc/portage. Then trash that VM and start over, this time making
35 > sensible choices about things like space for /boot
36
37 1.)
38 At this point the only quick solution is to move the old kernel and
39 System.map to "/" partition. In case I need it I can always boot-strap
40 the system and copy the old file to "/boot"
41
42 2.) A permanent fix would be as you suggested, backup:
43 "world"
44 /etc (complete folder) to a another box, and re-install.
45
46 Since this is the same box, same processor.
47 Is it possible to "boot-strap" the current system, copy entire
48 "/"-partition to another box over ssh.
49
50 Fix the partition sizes and copy back the entire "/"- back to current box.
51 It would save me all the compiling time.
54 Thelma