From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No room left on /boot
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 06:47:37
1 On 06/03/2017 01:35, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On 03/05/2017 03:19 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 05/03/2017 23:33, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> After upgrading my machine. I rebooted, everything went as planned.
5 >>> So I decided to upgrade to a newer kernel. I was using:
6 >>> linux-3.10.7-gentoo-r1
7 >>>
8 >>> and decided to switch to:
9 >>> linux-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
10 >>>
11 >>> I've done kernel upgrade many, many times so it was a routine procedure. When I re-booted the last thing on the screen were letter:
12 >>>
13 >>> "GRUB" and blank screen, not even a kernel selection.
14 >>> I scramble, boot strap the system and copied two file in /boot/
15 >>> kernel-old --> kernel-current
16 >>> System.map-old --> System.map-current
17 >>
18 >> You could do this:
19 >>
20 >> Boot into the old kernel
21 >> Delete the new kernel from /boot
22 >> Fix space issues with /boot
23 >> Re-install new kernel. This goes quick, it's already built in /usr/src
24 >>
25 > [snip]
28 >> So, it is possible to grow /boot. I have done it many times. It is
29 >> tedious, boring and usually takes about 3 days longer than I have time
30 >> to spare and involves me using all spare samba shares and portable
31 >> drives I have
34 > Since this is the same box, same processor.
35 > Is it possible to "boot-strap" the current system, copy entire
36 > "/"-partition to another box over ssh.
37 >
38 > Fix the partition sizes and copy back the entire "/"- back to current box.
39 > It would save me all the compiling time.
42 Yes, that will work.
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com