From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thank you for your insight.
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 13:39:48
1 On 28/12/18 21:49, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > As I am sure you are aware, under US law there is no contract if both
3 > sides have not provided consideration. This leaves us in the strange
4 > place of gratis licenses being suggestions.
5
6 Please note (and this is apparently settled case law in the US)
7 consideration != money.
8
9 The licensOR benefits by gaining access to other works (in particular,
10 if I modify a GPL'd work my consideration is access to the work I
11 modified), therefore as soon as two copyright holders are involved, both
12 are deemed to have received consideration in the form of the other
13 person's work.
14
15 And if the law said "consideration must be money", how would the barter
16 economy work?
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol