From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 21:13:33
1 On 05/22/2015 06:32 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 22 May 2015 13:47:28 walt wrote:
3 >> On 05/21/2015 04:49 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Then so have I. I have changed one thing a lot of times over the years,
6 >>> run make and it work fine. Most of the time, it is when emerge spits
7 >>> out that a option is needed for a package to work. Honestly, this is
8 >>> the first time I recall hearing this should even be done.
9 >>
10 >> The first n times I discovered than "make clean" prevents (some) problems
11 >> (sometimes) is when I was running the daily unstable kernels directly from
12 >> Linus's git repo.
13 >>
14 >> As you would expect, I had to git-bisect a lot of kernel bugs over the
15 >> years, and along the way I discovered that doing the exact-same bisect on
16 >> the exact- same source code could produce different results -- results
17 >> that were just plain wrong sometimes.
18 >>
19 >> That problem disappeared when I started doing "make clean" after every
20 >> bisect, painful though it seemed at the time.
21 >>
22 >> I'm now much too old and grouchy to debug unstable kernels every day,
23 >> though.
24 >
25 > Did you also enable CONFIG_MEMCG & MEMCG_KMEM in your kernel?
26
27 When I use the search function in "make menuconfig" I don't see any mention
28 of MEMCG, so I suspect that particular config item must be enabled by some
29 other config option that I didn't enable (though I don't remember making
30 that decision one way or the other).
31
32 I'm running gentoo-sources-3.14.42, so you can see I've become almost as
33 grumpy as Volker in my dotage ;)