From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:44:48
1 On Friday, 25 March 2022 16:34:30 GMT Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 25 March 2022 16:16:10 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 25 March 2022 09:31:44 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > I went through Jack's points one by one and answered each of them as I
5 > > > went. I got almost to the end before finding the answer. Jump straight
7 > > > the end if you just want to see the fix, or read on for the detail.
8 > >
9 > > Hey, not so fast! In fact I have to rm -r ~/.config/pulse && pulseaudio -k
10 > > after every login.
11 > >
12 > > Next step. Find out what .config files change at login. I did that with a
13 > > seven- step procedure which I won't repeat because I've now found that
14 > > starting the streaming of audio in Firefox kills the audio: I have to
15 > > reset
16 > > pulseaudio AFTER starting the audio stream.
17 > >
18 > > So, is it reboot or Firefox that's making the mess?
19 >
20 > Have you tried playing an audio file from the disk with a medial player
21 > (e.g. vlc or mpv), to see if sound is produced as expected?
22 >
23 > Then did you try to play the same file with Firefox (from within Dolphin use
24 > 'Open with')?
25 >
26 > If both of the above work, as they should, the problem is not with your
27 > desktop sound settings. Using some plugin on Firefox may come with its own
28 > sandbox/isolation which complicates matters.
29
30 I'll have to go looking for a suitable file - I don't have any lying around
31 here.
32
33 > PS. If it is BBC or some such you want to listen/watch, have you considered
34 > using get_iplayer?
35
36 Yes, and I didn't like it.
39 Regards,