From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Sound not sounding
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 16:34:43
1 On Friday, 25 March 2022 16:16:10 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 25 March 2022 09:31:44 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I went through Jack's points one by one and answered each of them as I
4 > > went. I got almost to the end before finding the answer. Jump straight to
5 > > the end if you just want to see the fix, or read on for the detail.
6 >
7 > Hey, not so fast! In fact I have to rm -r ~/.config/pulse && pulseaudio -k
8 > after every login.
9 >
10 > Next step. Find out what .config files change at login. I did that with a
11 > seven- step procedure which I won't repeat because I've now found that
12 > starting the streaming of audio in Firefox kills the audio: I have to reset
13 > pulseaudio AFTER starting the audio stream.
14 >
15 > So, is it reboot or Firefox that's making the mess?
16
17 Have you tried playing an audio file from the disk with a medial player (e.g.
18 vlc or mpv), to see if sound is produced as expected?
19
20 Then did you try to play the same file with Firefox (from within Dolphin use
21 'Open with')?
22
23 If both of the above work, as they should, the problem is not with your
24 desktop sound settings. Using some plugin on Firefox may come with its own
25 sandbox/isolation which complicates matters.
26
27 PS. If it is BBC or some such you want to listen/watch, have you considered
28 using get_iplayer?