From: "Thiago Lüttig" <tluttig@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with kde and NIS/NFS users
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:54:24
1 all the procedures about nfs/nis worked fine. i'll try strace with kde.
2
3 On 6/4/07, Duane Griffin <duaneg@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hi Thiago,
6 >
7 > On 02/06/07, Thiago Lüttig <tluttig@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > Hi folks. I have an gentoo-desktop box, with kde-3.5.5 running under
9 > 2.6.18
10 > > kernel. Last week, I upgraded the kernel to the 2.6.20 version, and the
11 > kde
12 > > takes a whole eternity to start, and another to run any program. I use
13 > > nis(ypbind) and nfs(the home folders) to log on my network.
14 >
15 > How did you upgrade your kernel?
16 >
17 > First things first, check your setup for anything obvious. I don't
18 > know much about KDE but I've seen problems like this with gnome when
19 > the machine's networking is not setup correctly. Check your /etc/hosts
20 > and hostname to ensure they are correct (not that upgrading your
21 > kernel should affect them). Do a diff between your configs to check
22 > nothing untoward has changed. Also capture and diff dmesgs from
23 > booting each kernel. Finally, check your network interfaces with
24 > /sbin/ifconfig.
25 >
26 > If that doesn't show anything interesting you will need to try and
27 > isolate the cause of the problem. Login as a local user on the
28 > console. Do a "ypcat passwd" and confirm that the command completes
29 > quickly and the user information is correct. If so then your network
30 > and NIS are fine.
31 >
32 > Next do an "ls -l ~<user>" with your NIS user name. If that completes
33 > quickly and shows your home directory then NFS is fine.
34 >
35 > If that all works fine then we are back to KDE. Next step I would
36 > suggest is strace'ing it to see what it is delaying on. See how you
37 > get on with the other stuff first.
38 >
39 > Cheers,
40 > Duane Griffin.
41 >
42 > --
43 > "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
52
53 Atenciosamente,