From: Duane Griffin <duaneg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with kde and NIS/NFS users
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:34:29
1 Hi Thiago,
2
3 On 02/06/07, Thiago Lüttig <tluttig@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Hi folks. I have an gentoo-desktop box, with kde-3.5.5 running under 2.6.18
5 > kernel. Last week, I upgraded the kernel to the 2.6.20 version, and the kde
6 > takes a whole eternity to start, and another to run any program. I use
7 > nis(ypbind) and nfs(the home folders) to log on my network.
8
9 How did you upgrade your kernel?
10
11 First things first, check your setup for anything obvious. I don't
12 know much about KDE but I've seen problems like this with gnome when
13 the machine's networking is not setup correctly. Check your /etc/hosts
14 and hostname to ensure they are correct (not that upgrading your
15 kernel should affect them). Do a diff between your configs to check
16 nothing untoward has changed. Also capture and diff dmesgs from
17 booting each kernel. Finally, check your network interfaces with
18 /sbin/ifconfig.
19
20 If that doesn't show anything interesting you will need to try and
21 isolate the cause of the problem. Login as a local user on the
22 console. Do a "ypcat passwd" and confirm that the command completes
23 quickly and the user information is correct. If so then your network
24 and NIS are fine.
25
26 Next do an "ls -l ~<user>" with your NIS user name. If that completes
27 quickly and shows your home directory then NFS is fine.
28
29 If that all works fine then we are back to KDE. Next step I would
30 suggest is strace'ing it to see what it is delaying on. See how you
31 get on with the other stuff first.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Duane Griffin.
37 "I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list