From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with alsa sound
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 22:25:16
1 On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > I have two machines desktop (x86_64) and laptop (i686), both with HDA Intel.
3 > On the laptop all is well.
4 > On the desktop playback is fine, but recording is not, e.g., when using
5 > skype my son cannot hear me, but I can hear him.
6 >
7 > On the (working) laptop alsa mixer shows two (stereo) volumes,
8 > capture and digital. The nonworking desktop has only digital
9
10 If you have not already done so, check out the HDA documentation at:
11
12 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt and HD-Audio-Models.txt
13
14 Sometimes (usually?) alsa fails to detect the exact configuration of
15 your audio chipset. You can force it to use a certain configuration
16 when the alsa modules are loaded. For example, I have to use
17 "6stack-digout" on mine.