From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with alsa sound
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 21:03:07
1 At Fri, 01 May 2009 17:25:14 -0500 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> I have two machines desktop (x86_64) and laptop (i686), both with HDA Intel.
5 >> On the laptop all is well.
6 >> On the desktop playback is fine, but recording is not, e.g., when using
7 >> skype my son cannot hear me, but I can hear him.
8 >>
9 >> On the (working) laptop alsa mixer shows two (stereo) volumes,
10 >> capture and digital. The nonworking desktop has only digital
11 >
12 > If you have not already done so, check out the HDA documentation at:
13 >
14 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt and HD-Audio-Models.txt
15
16 I don't have either of those files. The only close match is
17
18 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/hda_codec.txt but that doesn't
19 seem to have what you describe. For example it does not contain the
20 string 6stack.
21
22 allan
23
24 > Sometimes (usually?) alsa fails to detect the exact configuration of
25 > your audio chipset. You can force it to use a certain configuration
26 > when the alsa modules are loaded. For example, I have to use
27 > "6stack-digout" on mine.