From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:01:36
1 > Hi All,
2 >
3 > I have noticed this problem when I try to connect to two different
4 > machines in
5 > two different continents. One is on cable (US) the other on ISDN ADSL
6 > (Greece). In the evening and sometimes weekends ssh connections from my
7 > laptop to these two PCs are either taking ages or time out. This is ssh
8 > connections to sshd which is listening to random ports in the 200+ or
9 > 12000+
10 > ranges. If I eventually manage to connect the latency is ridiculous - up
12 > 5 seconds! Sometimes I enter a passwd, if I can get that far and then
13 > wait
14 > for hours with no response. Eventually, I have to close the terminal.
15 >
16 > Tracerouting does not get through although some clever tcptraceroute
17 > strings
18 > may on occasions (intermittently) get through.
19 >
20 > Both servers run on domestic networks. BTW, ssh-ing to servers in
21 > datacenters
22 > with their big fiber-optic pipes, although relatively slow in peak times,
23 > always gets through.
24 >
25 > The strange thing is that there is no problem talking to these boxen while
26 > they run Google-Talk, it's only the ssh connection that seems to suffer.
27 >
28 > Have you come across such a problem before? How can I troubleshoot it?
29 > In
30 > this day and age of broadband connections it seems strange to get worse
31 > performance than on a dialup network . . . I mean I have run VNC
32 > connections
33 > over a 56k dial up with more responsiveness than this!
34 > --
35 > Regards,
36 > Mick
39 Hi Mick,
40
41 I have noticed these problems myself as well sometimes when connecting to
42 a server connected to ADSL in the UK (I am currently in NL myself)
43
44 Fortunately for me, I have full access to the ADSL-router from that server
45 when I can connect and I found it usually coincides with connection
46 problems between the router and the ISP.
47
48 Can you (or someone else) check if there are any problems with this?
49
50 Another cause could be that the ISP (you did mention these are domestic
51 networks) is throttling/blocking certain ports/services/connection types.
52 I have heard of ISPs in NL and Belgium (not sure if it's true) that tend
53 to change these policies depending on the time of day.
54
55 This could also be done by your ISP.
56 Are the SSH-ports of the servers in DataCenters on 22 (default) or in the
57 higher 200+ and 12000+ range?
58
59 Kind regards,
60