From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using KVM, what about clocks?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:53:39
1 On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at>wrote:
4 > Maybe a bit OT, but otherwise close to gentoo as well (as we all
5 > configure our kernels individually ....) (see ps below):
6 >
7 > When I configure my gentoo-server for Linux KVM, how to get the
8 > clock-issues right, in terms of correctness and performance?
9 >
10 > I assume that I am not the only one scratching his head ... but maybe
11 > some of us simply hesitate to ask ;-)
12 >
13 > HPET, RTC, TSC, blah ...
14 >
15 > A new server with a Xeon-CPU tells me:
16 >
17 > "kvm: SMP vm created on host with unstable TSC; guest TSC will not be
18 > reliable"
19 >
20 > Ah, ok.
21 >
22 > Is that bad? Could I do something? Should I?
23 >
24 > My question is // questions are:
25 >
26 > Are there any recommended kernel-config-settings for a performant and
27 > non-drifting KVM-server?
28 >
29 > Is there a "best practise"?
30 >
31 > What is your experience, your recommendation?
32 >
33 > Maybe it should find its way into the gentoo wiki :-)
34 >
35 > Thanks in advance, Stefan
36 >
37 > ps: yeah, I know, this should go to the linux-kvm-ml in an ideal world.
38 > We all know that we would end up subscribed to dozens of mailing-lists
39 > just to get our jobs done .... so pls be tolerant in terms of "what is
40 > off-topic". thx.
43 This question is totally related to Gentoo!
44 Try -cpu ? and run with different cpu's to see if this can solve the
45 problem.
46
47 Kfir