From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 18:58:35
1 2016-09-01 14:55 GMT+03:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 > On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 2:04 AM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
5 >> into smaller logical ones and why?
8 > Assuming this is only used on Linux machines (you mentioned moving
9 > files around), here is what I would do:
10 >
11 > 1. Definitely create a partition table. Yes, I know some like to
12 > stick filesystems on raw drives, but you're basically going to fight
13 > all the automation in existence if you do this.
14
15 I will do it with gparted and guess that it will create a partition table
16 for me anyway.
17
18 > 2. Set it up as an LVM partition. Unless you're using filesystems
19 > like zfs/btrfs that have their own way of doing volume management,
20 > this just makes things less painful down the road.
21 >
22 > 3. I'd probably just set it up as one big logical volume, unless you
23 > know you don't need all the space and you think you might use it for
24 > something else later. You can change your mind on this with ext4+lvm
25 > either way, but better to start out whichever way seems best.
26
27 I had to refresh my memory about LVM before replying to you
28 but still can not see why I may need LVM on an external
29 hard drive...
30
31 > It will take you all of 30 seconds to format this, unless you're
32 > running badblocks (which almost nobody does, because...
33
34 it takes too much time?
35
36 I currently running a smart test on it, and it promised to take
37 10 hours to complete...
38
39 > You seem to be concerned about losing data. You should be. This is a
40 > physical storage device. You WILL lose everything stored on it at
41 > some point in time.
42
43 Last time, I have managed to restore all the data from my 2.5" hard
44 drive that suddenly died about 7 years ago and hope to do it again
45 if any. :)
46
47 > You mitigate this by one or more of:
48 > 1. Not storing anything you mind losing on the drive, and then not
49 > complaining when you lose it.
50 > 2. Keeping backups, preferably at a different physical location,
51 > using a periodically tested recovery methodology.
52 > 3. Availability solutions like RAID (not the same as a backup, but it
53 > will mean less downtime WHEN you WILL have a drive failure). Some
54 > filesystems like zfs/btrfs have specific ways of achieving this (and
55 > are generally more resistant to unreliable storage devices, which all
56 > storage devices are).
57 >
58 > I've actually had LVM eat my data once due to some kind of really rare
59 > bug (found one discussion of similar issues on some forum somewhere).
60
61 Aha!
62
63 > That isn't a good reason not to use LVM. Wanting to plug the drive
64 > into a bunch of Windows machines would be a good reason not to use
65 > LVM, or ext4 for that matter.
66 >
67 > Most of the historic reasons for not having large volumes had to do
68 > with addressing limits, whether it be drive geometry limits,
69 > filesystem limits, etc. Modern partition tables like GPT and
70 > filesystems can handle volumes MUCH larger than 5TB.
71 >
72 > Most modern journaling filesystems should also tend to avoid failure
73 > modes like losing the entire filesystem during a power failure (when
74 > correctly used, heaven help you if you follow a random friend's advice
75 > with mount options, like not using at least ordered data or disabling
76 > barriers). But, bugs can exist, which is a big reason to have backups
77 > and not just trust your filesystem unless you don't care much about
78 > the data.
79
80 Thank you for replying.