From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 19:12:51
1 On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > 2016-09-01 14:55 GMT+03:00 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
3 >
4 >> 2. Set it up as an LVM partition. Unless you're using filesystems
5 >> like zfs/btrfs that have their own way of doing volume management,
6 >> this just makes things less painful down the road.
7 >>
8 >> 3. I'd probably just set it up as one big logical volume, unless you
9 >> know you don't need all the space and you think you might use it for
10 >> something else later. You can change your mind on this with ext4+lvm
11 >> either way, but better to start out whichever way seems best.
12 >
13 > I had to refresh my memory about LVM before replying to you
14 > but still can not see why I may need LVM on an external
15 > hard drive...
16
17 It just gives you more options in the future, it is easy to move LVM
18 volumes to other drives, re-partition them later, and so on. I agree
19 it is probably overkill on a removable device, but it doesn't hurt.
20 This is a 5TB drive after all. But, I don't think it is
21 super-critical either.
24 >> It will take you all of 30 seconds to format this, unless you're
25 >> running badblocks (which almost nobody does, because...
26 >
27 > it takes too much time?
28 >
29 > I currently running a smart test on it, and it promised to take
30 > 10 hours to complete...
31
32 That's basically it. If it didn't take time people would of course
33 run it first. I think a SMART test would be about as good and likely
34 a lot faster. However, the drive should be managing bad blocks on its
35 own (granted, many drives seem to get that wrong in my experience,
36 which is part of why I run btrfs, but I probably wouldn't use
37 btrfs/zfs for a drive you're moving all over the place since who knows
38 what kind of kernel you'll have when you use it and heaven help you if
39 you ever need to read it on Windows).
42 >> You seem to be concerned about losing data. You should be. This is a
43 >> physical storage device. You WILL lose everything stored on it at
44 >> some point in time.
45 >
46 > Last time, I have managed to restore all the data from my 2.5" hard
47 > drive that suddenly died about 7 years ago and hope to do it again
48 > if any. :)
49
50 Well, if the data is redundant then you're fine (it is essentially
51 already backed up). But, you should check those backups from time to
52 time.
53
54 You should never rely on the ability to recover data from a hard
55 drive. For starters, if you just lose the thing (portable things can
56 sometimes grow legs; you're talking about 5 libraries of congress in a
57 bag that could get stolen) or it is catastrophically destroyed that
58 isn't going to work. Short of that there is a fair chance you can get
59 a lot of data off the drive, and it is fairly likely if you're using
60 some kind of expensive recovery service, but you can't promise that
61 the specific file you care about most will get recovered.
62
63 Backups are annoying. I don't do them as well as ideally I should
64 (way too much data to get it all offsite), but I make a conscious
65 decision about what does/doesn't get backed up and how. I
66 occasionally restore my encrypted cloud backups to confirm they
67 contain what I expect them to. I actually get the log summary emailed
68 daily to make sure it is running (if I had more hosts I could use some
69 kind of monitoring for that...). I've never needed to use the online
70 cloud backups, but they're there for a reason and they cover anything
71 I actually care about (documents and such). I also backup all my
72 cloud services (evernote, google drive, etc) to local storage
73 occassionally; that doesn't require further backup since it is the
74 backup. You just need two copies of everything, with one copy
75 preferably being inaccessible from the other and not at the same
76 physical site.
79 Rich