From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:59:57
1 On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 15:42:47 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-08-30 09:32, Mick wrote:
3 > > > Unfortunately this isn't a viable strategy because typically you
4 > > > will, in a few months, if not a single month, spend more in
5 > > > electricity costs than you would purchasing a new single board
6 > > > computer.
7 > >
8 > > Perhaps in a commercial 24x7x365 high compute cycle application this
9 > > would hold water, but in the case of a home PC running 14 hours a day
10 > > at maximum power you might save enough to buy a small spinning SATA
11 > > drive after a year, or a Raspberry Pi without peripherals, but not a
12 > > new PC. Of course, if:
13 > >
14 > > 1. your PC is not running at full speed all the time;
15 > > 2. it is not a PentiumD dual core (were they the most power hungry?);
16 > > 3. you're not still running a CRT monitor;
17 > > 4. you tend to suspend to RAM when not in front of it;
18 > > 5. a new PC is not at least 50% more efficient;
19 > > 6. the price of electricity is not exorbitant (I pay approximately
20 > > £0.13/KWh + £0.29/day)
21 > >
22 > > then you will need other reasons to upgrade. When the PC you're using
23 > > is a laptop, then the case for upgrading on grounds of savings on
24 > > electricity costs alone is even more tenuous.
25 >
26 > Also: how long is the replacement going to last? Anything with flash as
27 > the main storage will be back at the recycling station (ideally) within
28 > a couple of years. This includes all the consumer routers I've ever
29 > had, including the beloved blue Linksys.
30
31 With consumer grade router/modems I've found the capacitors are of a low
32 rating and therefore within a few years (or sooner if your area experiences
33 brown outs and power cuts/surges) they give up the ghost. Replacing the
34 capacitors in their power supply and sometimes a couple of their internal
35 capacitors with capacitors of a higher rating for just a few cents, by passes
36 this built-in obsolescence and extends their useful life for quite a few more
37 years.
38 --
39 Regards,
40 Mick