From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:09:35
1 On 2013-08-19 4:54 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 19/08/2013 18:39, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2013-08-19 9:36 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> For your other question, you don't need an initramfs if your /usr is not
5 >>> split off and drivers for your fs on / and chipset are compiled in. That
6 >>> will stay true for ages to come (until some joker starts shipping kernel
7 >>> drivers in /var....)
8
9 >> Right, but that wasn't my question, my question was will I be able to
10 >> continue using eudev (or mdev, or whatever)...
11
12 > Surely that depends on how well-maintained eudev remains in the future?
13 > And is therefore best answered by the package maintainers?
14
15 You misunderstand.
16
17 I'm concerned about feature/dependency creep, where all of a sudden the
18 Gentoo Council makes a decision (or is forced into a decision) that
19 makes it *impossible* for eudev (or any alternative) to work without
20 systemd.
21
22 Or even worse, I actually had a dream (nightmare?) last night about an
23 email to the list that went something like:
24
25 "Announcement: The Gentoo Council, in its infinite wisdom, has decided
26 to make Fedora Core the official upstream for Gentoo. This is being done
27 to make all of our lives easier, and so that we can all have GNOME on
28 the desktop."
29
30 <shudder>