From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-systemd-only deprecation
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:27:28
1 On 2013-07-31 11:20 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > If you don't use the systemd USE flag (and never install anything that
3 > depends on systemd), you will not get systemd installed, but many
4 > packages will install systemd unit files in /urs/lib/systemd/system.
5 > This unit files are little non-executable files which do nothing in
6 > your system, but some people feel really strongly about having
7 > anything in their machines with *systemd* in its path. If you want to
8 > exorcise those unit files, add /usr/lib/systemd/system to
9 > INSTALL_MASK.
10
11 Ok, thanks Canek... but my last question remains... if this really is
12 going to be the only and one true way to opt out of systemd, shouldn't
13 this be well documented in the man page, as opposed to just generic
14 references to masking 'files'...?
15
16 > It's the exact same situation with OpenRC: those of us who install
17 > systemd don't want nor need the files in /etc/init.d, but they get
18 > installed anyway. If we want to exorcise OpenRC init scripts from our
19 > systems, we need to add /etc/init.d to INSTALL_MASK.
20
21 And so *both* should be fully documented in the man page...
22
23 > For the record, I now think it's a waste of time trying to stop the
24 > installation of tiny files that basically do nothing, either in
25 > /usr/lib/systemd/system or in /etc/init.d, but you have the option if
26 > you so desire.
27
28 Ok, and thanks again...