From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New hibernate modules in 2.6.23-gentoo-r3
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 00:41:23
1 On Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007, Mick wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > Could you please help me understand how I should be setting hibernation for
5 > my laptop:
6 >
7 > There an new hibernate options in the new stable kernel:
8 >
9 > [*] Suspend to RAM and standby
10 > [*] Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')
11 > (/dev/hda1) Default resume partition
12 > [*] ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
13 > --->
14 >
15 > Now, the last option contains:
16 >
17 > --- ACPI Support (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
18 > [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi files
19 > [ ] Deprecated /proc/acpi/event support
20 >
21 > which if I deselect I end up with boot errors because the acpid no longer
22 > finds the relevant files:
23 >
24 > * Starting acpid ...
25 > acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory [ !! ]
26 >
27 > So, the question is: how is one supposed to configure hibernation under
28 > the new setup? Is acpid deprecated altogether and should be removed, or
29 > should I keep it and re-enable the deprecated files and event support in
30 > the kernel. (The Docs seem to hint that it may still be of use, which
31 > implies that the deprecated modules should be enabled.)
32
33 acpid is just not 'ready' for moving away from the deprecated files. Just
34 select the two options - it won't hurt. And they will stay for a long, long
35 time.
38 Conclusions
39 In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even
40 with its numerical advantage removed, the Empire would still squash the
41 Federation like a bug. Accept it. -Michael Wong
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list