From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MIME-type application/octet-stream missing on KDE 3
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:24:05
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:51 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Francisco Ares wrote:
7 > > Thanks, a lot, Dale, that was it.
8 > >
9 > > That proves old ghosts use to get back to haunt us once in a while ;-)
10 > >
11 > > Francisco
14 > What made me think it may not be needed is that I don't have it and I
15 > have the latest KDE 3.5 installed. I know sometimes files move or
16 > something and emerge does not touch a users directory that I have ever
17 > seen. I'm not sure but I doubt emerge can. Looks like KDE should have
18 > fixed it but I'm sure they are busy on KDE 4. ;-)
19 >
20 > I don't like ghosts in my puter either. At least with mine, it is
21 > usually the idiot in the chair.
22 >
23 > Dale
24 >
25 > :-) :-)
28 Looking at the file in
29 ~/.kde3.5/share/mimelnk/application/octet-stream.desktop it contains MIME
30 information for an extension that I've included months ago, so that Firefox
31 (and probably all applications) would automagicaly open mplayer for
32 YouTube-like media files (*.flv extension), but as far as I can remember,
33 I've done that using KDE 3.5 tools.
34
35 Well, I've removed it, didn't try any *.flv yet, but there's no more of
36 those annoying warning messages.
37
38 Thanks a lot
39 Francisco
43 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
44 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
45 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
46 George Bernard Shaw