From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 21:45:51
1 > > It seems like ARM processors will destroy x86 before too long. Does
2 > > anyone think this won't happen?
3 > >
4 > > - Grant
5 >
6 > Yes me.
7 >
8 > ARM will take over where it makes sense and won't where it doesn't.
9 >
10 > For desktops and laptops, x86 was used simply because there was nothing
11 > else, so x86 is going to have to fight for it's survival in the
12 > whole bottom and middle range there.
13 >
14 > x86 has already lost the fight in the portable market (phones, tablets)
15 > and truth be told never really got going there.
16 >
17 > For everything else, I don't see ARM making much inroads. There's a hug
18 > server market out there for things with computing grunt and the
19 > software that drives them - x86 isn't going away in that market anytime
20 > soon.
21 >
22 > But this is an old, old, old argument. People predicted the demise of
23 > mainframes for years when x86 started becoming a quite powerful cpu.
24 > The current truth is that IBM sell more mainframes year on year, growth
25 > is more than mere inflation can account for, and mainframes are just
26 > getting stronger. So x86 didn't kill the mainframe, instead x86 played
27 > a huge role in making both stronger. I see no reason to believe the
28 > same story won't play out exactly the same all over again between x86
29 > and ARM.
30
31 This is really interesting. "all over again" is exactly what I expect to
32 happen, but I didn't realize it happened as you say. A friend of mine was
33 really into SPARC in the 90's and complained loudly when x86 grabbed its
34 market share. At least that was how I understood it. I imagine the same
35 thing happening with ARM and x86, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions?
36
37 - Grant