From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:23:00
1 On 2009-09-24, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com <paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I think eSATA and SATA physically have different connectors,
5 >> but they are the technically same (you can buy simple
6 >> adapters...).
7
8 They're compatible but not technically the same. The
9 electrical specs for eSATA are stricter and provide more margin
10 for noise and signal loss. I once used an internal-to-external
11 adapter to connect an external drive to a normal motherboard
12 SATA port. It worked most of the time, but there were
13 occasional problems. [For all I know the same problems might
14 have occurred if the drive was internal.]
15
16 > I'm don't think that the connectors are different enough to
17 > care about - I had (in a previous life/system) a PCI SATA
18 > interface card that had both internal SATA and an eSATA
19 > connector, and when I ran out of regular internal SATA
20 > connectors, I just used a regular SATA cable, plugged into the
21 > eSATA port, then ran the cable back in through an empty
22 > expansion slot in the case, and hooked it up to a regular
23 > internal SATA driver - worked like a champ... ;)
24
25 The two connector types are supposed to be physically
26 incompatible, but we'll take your word for it that you can make
27 them mate.
30 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Will the third world
31 at war keep "Bosom Buddies"
32 visi.com off the air?