From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Good fast IDE hard drive but cheap and BIG.
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:48:16
1 On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On 2009-09-24, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 <snip>
6
7 > > I'm don't think that the connectors are different enough to
8 > > care about - I had (in a previous life/system) a PCI SATA
9 > > interface card that had both internal SATA and an eSATA
10 > > connector, and when I ran out of regular internal SATA
11 > > connectors, I just used a regular SATA cable, plugged into the
12 > > eSATA port, then ran the cable back in through an empty
13 > > expansion slot in the case, and hooked it up to a regular
14 > > internal SATA driver - worked like a champ... ;)
15 >
16 > The two connector types are supposed to be physically
17 > incompatible, but we'll take your word for it that you can make
18 > them mate.
21 It may very well be that the cheap adapter card I bought decided that having
22 a SATA port on the outside made it an eSATA port, as I didn't run into any
23 difficulty in plugging in the regular SATA cable. ;)
24
25 -James