From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeze after suspend-to-ram with kernel 3.10
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 10:17:51
1 On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:02:05AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > >> I tried to confirm my oberservation by deliberately hibernating it multiple
4 > >> times yesterday -- it always woke up with 3.9. Now I booted it with 3.10 and
5 > >> it didn't come up on the first try.
6 > >> Do you have any suggestion how I might debug this? I can’t simply report to
7 > >> kernel blokes “3.10 is crap on my netbook, you put in a regression somewhere”.
8 > >>
9 > >> I don’t really have the time right now to go after hunches, such as the new
10 > >> tikless system, as building a kernel takes up to 45 minutes on that thing.
11 > > well, take your 3.9 config and don't change it.
12 >
13 > If the config change doesn't reveal anything, you can do git bisect of
14 > the kernel to find out which patch broke it. When you do git bisect
15 > you don't need to recompile the whole kernel every time, it only
16 > compiles the changed files, which are usually not many. So even on a
17 > slower machine it's not so bad once the first compile is finished.
18 >
19 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_git-bisect
20
21 I didn't know one could have the git repo only for one subversion
22 (though I find it very handy for this huge codebase).
23
24 Anyhoo, I cleaned out my build dir and oldconfig'ed my 3.9 config, this
25 time saying no to everything new. As it turned out, the resulting config
26 was almost identical to my old 3.10 config (except for some crypto stuff
27 built as a module instead of built-in).
28 Now I don't have the freezes anymore. One possible reason is that I'm
29 now using 3.10.4 instead of 3.10.1. Another (more probable) reason is
30 that I may have forgotten to make clean the first time, which left over
31 some interfering cruft.
32 --
33 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
34 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
35
36 I am never drunk, I always keel over before that.