From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:20:36
1 On 26/07/2014 18:16, Grand Duet wrote:
2 > 2014-07-26 19:02 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3 >>
4 >> On 26/07/2014 17:23, Grand Duet wrote:
5 >>> The first reboot after recent update of the system have
6 >>> shown that I cannot open any webpage in Firefox.
7 >>>
8 >>> More exactly, Firefox or my system cannot any more resolve
9 >>> URL to IP address (sorry if I use wrong terms).
10 >>>
11 >>> Thus,
12 >>> host gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
13 >>> gives:
14 >>> ;; connection timed out no servers could be reached
15 >>>
16 >>> Nevertheless
17 >>> dig @8.8.8.8 <http://8.8.8.8> gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
18 >>> reports the corresponding IP adresses.
19 >>>
20 >>> I have not changed any my network settings and my
21 >>> /etc/conf.d/net file still contains list of my DNS servers
22 >>> that contains server 8.8.8.8 as well but somehow it is
23 >>> not enough any more. :(
24 >>>
25 >>> During my last system update, I suddenly found that
26 >>> I had to update about 150 packages, what was a little
27 >>> bit strange as I update my system at least once a week.
28 >>>
29 >>> I have attributed that to the remnants of gnome2 (now I am using
30 >>> fxce4) that I have not cleaned completely and that is now going
31 >>> to update. So, I deviated a bit from my usual system update routine
32 >>> trying to fix that. Nevertheless, as to my view, during my system update
33 >>> I did nothing to distroy the DNS lookup.
34 >>>
35 >>> Luckily, I save my system update logs and now can attach
36 >>> the last one to this e-mail.
37 >>>
38 >>> Please, help me to recover my internet access,
39 >>> as I still have to do a lot of real work till Monday
40 >>> and have not enough time to investigate this problem
41 >>> alone and without a proper internet access. :(
42 >>
43 >> what is the contents of /etc/resolve.conf?
44 >
45 > # Generated by net-scripts for interface lo
46 > domain mynetwork
47 >
48 > That is all.
49 >
50 > I tried to add here lines like:
51 >
52 > nameserver 8.8.8.8
53 >
54 > but found out that this file is rewritten on every reboot.
55 >
56 > My net try was to create /etc/resolv.conf.tail file
57 > and put that line there but that did not help either.
58
59 Then the problem is obvious - you have no nameserver entries as you
60 don't create any. The computer can't make them up by magic..
61
62 You need to create static nameserver entries because you use a static
63 (i.e. no dhcp) configuration. Add them to /etc/resolvconf.conf
64
65 If it still gets removed across restarts then you have some local
66 modification going on that does deletions you don't know about. You then
67 have too find them and turn them into something you do know about.
72 Alan McKinnon
73 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com