From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg.conf [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:22:44
1 Jorge Almeida schreef:
2 > I don't do much emerge world, I usually just "-p"-it and then emerge
3 > each package, that's why I didn't think of that.
4
5 That seems like a waste of effort -- and 'corrupts' your world file, as
6 well, since everything you emerge explicitly will be entered into your
7 world file, and that will then include dependencies, which should by
8 rights *not* be in your world file, nothing said about dependencies of
9 dependencies, also known as 'deep dependencies'.
10
11 You're really making a mess doing that; you'll screw up emerge
12 --depclean, for one thing, since I have no idea what it would do if a
13 dependency of an uninstalled package in your world file (which would
14 normally make the package a valid target for depclean) is also in your
15 world file, given that dependencies are not meant to be in your world
16 file (thereby invalidating the now-useless package as a depclean target):
17
18 man emerge
19
20 --depclean
21 Determines all packages installed on the system that have
22 no explicit reason for being there. emerge generates a list of
23 packages which it expects to be installed by checking
24 the system package list and the world file. It then compares that
25 list to the list of packages which are actually installed;
26 the differences are listed as unnecessary packages and then
27 unmerged after a short timeout. WARNING: Removing
28 some packages may cause packages which link to the removed package to
29 stop working and complain about missing libraries.
30 Re-emerge the complaining package to fix this issue. Note that changes
31 in USE flags can drastically affect the output of --depclean.
32
33 But if a dependency of an uninstalled package is in your world file
34 (which in your situation it could be), then it *does* have a reason for
35 being there (because it's in the world file), so would not be cleaned,
36 which is just not the way Portage is set up to work.
37
38 You might consider changing -p to -a when doing an emerge world
39 (--pretend to --ask), so that you can see what's being emerged and not
40 have to go to all the effort of typing the emerge command again (or,
41 heaven forfend, individual commands the way you do now) You might also
42 consider adding -u (--update), -D (--deep), -t (--tree) and -v
43 (--verbose) to 1) catch updated direct dependencies; 2) catch updated
44 indirect (deep) dependencies, 3) see which packages are requiring that a
45 dependency or deep dependency be updated; and 4) see what the USE flag
46 status is for all requested-to-emerge packages.
47
48 I don't offhand know how to 'fix' your world file, but I'm pretty sure
49 that one of ecatmur's utilities, posted on the forums, is likely designed to
50 solve this issue. I remember a thread called 'Clean out your World
51 file'... can't find it, but there is this:
52
53 Portage utilities not in Portage:
54
55 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67849
56
57 which ought to have something of use.
58
59 Hope this helps,
60 Holly
61 --