From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] X-Server-1.8 and Intel i915 modesetting stability
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:48:28
1 Hi list!
2
3 I ran into a massive problem when I tried to update to xorg-server-1.8:
4 When I tried to start it, the x-server didn't come up and wrote this
5 error: "(EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected".
6
7 So I activated modesetting by default in the kernel and tried it again.
8 Now I have two distinct problems:
9
10 1. On boot up, the screen goes completely black until the xserver is
11 started. While I know my system long enough to recognize common boot
12 errors by watching the disk and peripheral device activity, I wouldn't
13 like to make a filesystem recovery blindfolded ;)
14
15 2. Once the XServer runs, it is extremely unstable. It gets killed and
16 restarted by XDM every few minutes. dmesg and Xorg.0.log haven't shown
17 anything suspicious.
18
19 In the end that means that I'm currently stuck with xorg-server-1.7 and
20 no modesetting.
21
22 For reference, my system:
23 Dell Latitude D520