From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Localmount starts before LVM
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:59:35
1 On Tuesday 11 December 2012 01:14:39 PM IST, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 >> Hi,
3 >>
4 >> I have a raid0 (kernel autodetect) array, over which I have put LVM
5 >> and then there are volumes on the LVM for /var, /tmp, swap and /home.
6 >>
7 >> The problem is, raid0 array gets recognized, but localmount fails to
8 >> mount because lvm doesn't seem to start before localmount (due to my
9 >> root being on SSD, I can't watch the output of openrc easily).
10 >>
11 >> For now I have added this to my rc.conf -
12 >> rc_localmount_before="lvm"
13 >
14 > In other words: "localmount" should run before "lvm"
15 >
16 >> rc_localmount_need="lvm"
17 >
18 > "localmount" requires "lvm"
19 >
20 >> rc_lvm_after="localmount"
21 >
22 > "lvm" should run after "localmount"
23 >
24 > Line 1 and 3 do the same. Line 2 is a contradiction.
25 >
26 >> This fixes the problem, but localmount still executes before lvm and
27 >> terminates with operational error. Then lvm starts up and localmount
28 >> runs again successfully.
29 >>
30 >> Any idea why this happens?
31 >
32 > Yes (See above)
33 >
34 >> The localmount script in init.d has proper depends:
35 >>
36 >> depend()
37 >> {
38 >> need fsck
39 >> use lvm modules mtab
40 >> after lvm modules
41 >> keyword -jail -openvz -prefix -vserver -lxc
42 >> }
43 >
44 > This should work.
45 >
46 > I actually have a similar setup and did not need to add the lines to rc.conf.
47 > All I did was do what I was told:
48 > Add "lvm" to the "boot" runlevel.
49 >
50 > Can you remove the lines from "rc.conf", ensure "lvm" is in the "boot"
51 > runlevel (And not in any other, like "default") and then let us know if
52 > you still get the error during reboot?
53 >
54 > If it all goes by too fast, can you press "I" during boot to get
55 > interactive and then let us know:
56 > 1) Which starts first, "lvm" or "localmount"
57 > 2) What error messages do you see for any of the services.
58 >
59 > Kind regards,
60 >
61 > Joost Roeleveld
65 Removing those lines didn't help, but I removed my stupidity there --
66 the contradicting dependency issue.
67 It still doesn't start up before localmount.
68
69 What I get when rc.conf is default without any manually inserted
70 depends/etc:
71 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25780056/2012-12-11%2012.46.59.jpg &
72 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25780056/2012-12-11%2012.48.13.jpg
73
74 My current rc.conf has this:
75
76 rc_localmount_need="lvm"
77 rc_localmount_after="lvm"
78 rc_fsck_after="lvm"
79 rc_fsck_need="lvm"
80 rc_lvm_before="localmount"
81
82 At least I have a usable system now and doesn't use my SSD for /var due
83 to the failed LVM mount.
84 But this results in one localmount failure -> lvm -> localmount success.
85
86 I'm on openrc 0.11.8.
89 Nilesh Govindarajan
90 http://nileshgr.com