From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Localmount starts before LVM
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:24:15
1 > On Tuesday 11 December 2012 01:14:39 PM IST, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 >>> Hi,
3 >>>
4 >>> I have a raid0 (kernel autodetect) array, over which I have put LVM
5 >>> and then there are volumes on the LVM for /var, /tmp, swap and /home.
6 >>>
7 >>> The problem is, raid0 array gets recognized, but localmount fails to
8 >>> mount because lvm doesn't seem to start before localmount (due to my
9 >>> root being on SSD, I can't watch the output of openrc easily).
10 >>>
11 >>> For now I have added this to my rc.conf -
12 >>> rc_localmount_before="lvm"
13 >>
14 >> In other words: "localmount" should run before "lvm"
15 >>
16 >>> rc_localmount_need="lvm"
17 >>
18 >> "localmount" requires "lvm"
19 >>
20 >>> rc_lvm_after="localmount"
21 >>
22 >> "lvm" should run after "localmount"
23 >>
24 >> Line 1 and 3 do the same. Line 2 is a contradiction.
25 >>
26 >>> This fixes the problem, but localmount still executes before lvm and
27 >>> terminates with operational error. Then lvm starts up and localmount
28 >>> runs again successfully.
29 >>>
30 >>> Any idea why this happens?
31 >>
32 >> Yes (See above)
33 >>
34 >>> The localmount script in init.d has proper depends:
35 >>>
36 >>> depend()
37 >>> {
38 >>> need fsck
39 >>> use lvm modules mtab
40 >>> after lvm modules
41 >>> keyword -jail -openvz -prefix -vserver -lxc
42 >>> }
43 >>
44 >> This should work.
45 >>
46 >> I actually have a similar setup and did not need to add the lines to
47 >> rc.conf.
48 >> All I did was do what I was told:
49 >> Add "lvm" to the "boot" runlevel.
50 >>
51 >> Can you remove the lines from "rc.conf", ensure "lvm" is in the "boot"
52 >> runlevel (And not in any other, like "default") and then let us know if
53 >> you still get the error during reboot?
54 >>
55 >> If it all goes by too fast, can you press "I" during boot to get
56 >> interactive and then let us know:
57 >> 1) Which starts first, "lvm" or "localmount"
58 >> 2) What error messages do you see for any of the services.
59 >>
60 >> Kind regards,
61 >>
62 >> Joost Roeleveld
66 > Removing those lines didn't help,
67
68 What is the end-result without the lines?
71 > but I removed my stupidity there --
72 > the contradicting dependency issue.
73 > It still doesn't start up before localmount.
74 >
75 > What I get when rc.conf is default without any manually inserted
76 > depends/etc:
77 > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25780056/2012-12-11%2012.46.59.jpg &
78 > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25780056/2012-12-11%2012.48.13.jpg
79 >
80 > My current rc.conf has this:
81 >
82 > rc_localmount_need="lvm"
83 > rc_localmount_after="lvm"
84 > rc_fsck_after="lvm"
85 > rc_fsck_need="lvm"
86 > rc_lvm_before="localmount"
87 >
88 > At least I have a usable system now and doesn't use my SSD for /var due
89 > to the failed LVM mount.
90 > But this results in one localmount failure -> lvm -> localmount success.
91 >
92 > I'm on openrc 0.11.8.
93
94 I use an older version still.
95 In rc.conf, I only set the "need" lines for init-scripts I created myself.
96 I never used the other lines.
97
98 Do you have /usr on / ? Or on a seperate partition?
99
100 Which metadata version did you use for the software raid setup?
101
102 Can you add "mdadm" to the boot-runlevel?
105 Joost