From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 01:53:38
1 On 07/09/2014 01:28, Dale wrote:
2 > Kerin Millar wrote:
3 >> On 06/09/2014 13:54, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 06/09/2014 14:48, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> James wrote:
6 >>>>> Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>> Thank you for the information.
9 >>>>>> I'll continue on Monday and let you know. If it will not boot
10 >>>>>> with sector
11 >>>>> starting at 2048, I will
12 >>>>>> re-partition /boot sda1 to start at 63.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Take some time to research and reflect on your needs (desires?)
15 >>>>> about which file system to use. (ext 2,4) is always popular and safe.
16 >>>>> Some are very happy with BTRFS and there are many other interesting
17 >>>>> choices (ZFS, XFS, etc etc)......
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> There is no best solution; but the EXT family offers tried and proven
20 >>>>> options. YMMV.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> hth,
24 >>>>> James
25 >>>>>
26 >>>>
27 >>>> I'm not sure if it is ZFS or XFS but I seem to recall one of those does
28 >>>> not like sudden shutdowns, such as a power failure. Maybe that has
29 >>>> changed since I last tried whichever one it is that has that issue. If
30 >>>> you have a UPS tho, shouldn't be so much of a problem, unless your
31 >>>> power
32 >>>> supply goes out.
33 >>>
34 >>> XFS.
35 >>>
36 >>> It was designed by SGI for their video rendeing workstations back in the
37 >>> day and used very aggressive caching to get enormous throughput. It was
38 >>> also brilliant at dealing with directories containing thousands of small
39 >>> files - not unusual when dealing with video editing.
40 >>>
41 >>> However, it was also designed for environments where the power is
42 >>> guaranteed to never go off (which explains why they decided to go with
43 >>> such aggressive caching). If you use it in environments where powerouts
44 >>> are not guaranteed to not happen, well......
45 >>
46 >> Well what? It's no less reliable than other filesystems that employ
47 >> delayed allocation (any modern filesystem worth of note). Over recent
48 >> years, I use both XFS and ext4 extensively in production and have
49 >> found the former trumps the latter in reliability.
50 >>
51 >> While I like them both, I predicate this assertion mainly on some of
52 >> the silly bugs that I have seen crop up in the ext4 codebase and the
53 >> unedifying commentary that has occasionally ensued. From reading the
54 >> XFS list and my own experience, I have formed the opinion that the
55 >> maintainers are more stringent in matters of QA and regression testing
56 >> and more mature in matters of public debate. I also believe that
57 >> regressions in stability are virtually unheard of, whereas regressions
58 >> in performance are identified quickly and taken very seriously [1].
59 >>
60 >> The worst thing I could say about XFS is that it was comparatively
61 >> slow until the introduction of delayed logging (an idea taken from
62 >> ext3). [2] [3]. Nowadays, it is on a par with ext4 and, in some cases,
63 >> scales better. It is also one of the few filesystems besides ZFS that
64 >> can dynamically allocate inodes.
65 >> <<SNIP>>
66 >> --Kerin
67 >>
68 >> [1]
69 >> http://www.percona.com/blog/2012/03/15/ext4-vs-xfs-on-ssd/#comment-903938
70 >> [2]
71 >> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/xfs-delayed-logging-design.txt
72 >> [3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FegjLbCnoBw
76 > The point I was making in my comment was about if the power fails
77 > without a proper shutdown. When I used it a long time ago, it worked
78 > fine, until there was a sudden power loss. That is when problems pop
79 > up. If a person has a UPS, should be good to go.
80
81 The point I was making is that there is not a shred of evidence to
82 suggest that XFS is any less resilient in this scenario than newer
83 filesystems employing delayed allocation such as ext4, btrfs and ZFS.
84 What I take issue with is that people continue to single XFS out for
85 criticism, regardless. Let XFS be judged as it it stands today, just as
86 any other actively developed filesystem should be.
87
88 Filesystem implementations are not set in stone. Just as ext4 developers
89 had to resolve certain engineering challenges raised by the use of
90 delayed allocation, so have XFS developers had to do the same before
91 them [1].
92
93 Arguments generally critical of the use of delayed allocation where
94 power loss is a likely event would hold water. Fortunately, options
95 remain for such a scenario (ext3, ext4 + nodelalloc).
96
97 --Kerin
98
99 [1]