From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge firefox-52.4.0 compile failure
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:46:32
1 On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 19:20:53 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > It turns out that over the past week or so, there have been several
4 > _different_ firefox ebuilds released. One of them was broken:
5 >
6 > Version 52.4.0 (Oct 3) was OK.
7 >
8 > Version 52.4.0 (Oct 7) was broken.
9 >
10 > Version 52.4.0 (Oct 9) is OK.
11 >
12 > You (and I) had successfully installed the Oct 3 version of 52.4.0,
13 > but when I tried to install the Oct 7 version of 52.4.0, it failed.
14 > The Oct 9 version is supposed to be fixed. I don't really see how you
15 > can repeatedly release new versions of something without changing the
16 > version number, but maybe that's just me...
17
18 It depends on the breakage. If the installed program is broken it should
19 be bumped, but if the breakage only relates to the build in some
20 circumstances, it makes sense not to bump it. Otherwise everyone that
21 installed the first time, maybe because they had the necessary
22 dependencies already, would have to re-emerge the package another two
23 times for no benefit.
24
25 If they truly were new versions it would be different, but all the ebuilds
26 resulted in the same version of the software being installed.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Puns are bad, but poetry is verse...