From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: New GPS &amp; Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:43:36
1 Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
4 > some features you might consider:
5
6 I got the Garmin 1490T:
7
8 > * bluetooth
9 > * map upgrades
10 > * text to speech
11 has it.
12
13 > * tunnel mode (some use accelerometers
14 Not sure.
15
16 > * Online searching
17 usb and bluetooth, should interact with PC (running Gentoo?)
18
19 > * Camera with geotagging
20 I did not see this anywhere, do tell me more....
21
22 > * expandable memory
23 Got it.
24
25 > * mp3 / video
26 Nope, not that I'm aware of. (new to this nuvi 1490T technology.
27
28 > * on road / off road modes and route logging (not that you have to
29 > go off road, but if you want to upload your tracks to a free
30 > mapping service, then it needs to be royalty free, which means
31 > you need to turn off the "snap to nearest road" function)
32 Not sure.
33
34 > * digital compass, odometer, log book facility
35 > * lane guidance and 3d features (I personally don't care for them,
36 > but some do)
37 got it.
38
39 > > Maybe searching out free wireless connections for
40 > > bandwidth?
41 > not sure how many plain GPSs have wifi.
42
43 I was not looking for a GPS with wifi, although that would be
44 keen, in lieu of pay for usage based services. I was looking for
45 "points of interest" on the GPS device, with a "free wifi" GPS
46 guide location. Surely something like this exist for mobile
47 laptops, or do folks run some scanning package to find free wifi
48 locations. A GPS coordinate registry for free wifi is more
49 what I'm looking for. Very cool if it's built in or easily addable
50 to the Garmin 1490T.
53 Anyone with any suggestions of software (gentoo) packages to install
54 with this GPS device, are most welcome.
55
56 Thanks Iain,
57
58 James